Company: UMass Memorial Health Care
Posted on: February 15, 2019
At UMass Memorial Health Care, Everyone is a Caregiver regardless of title. Exceptional patient care, academic excellence and leading-edge research make UMass Memorial the premier health care system of Central and Western Massachusetts, and a place where we can help you build the career you deserve. We are more than 14,000 employees, working together as one health care system. And everyone, in their own unique way, plays an important part, everyday.Requisition #: 191561
Title: Financial Counselor
Department: Financial Counseling
Posting Date: Jan 31, 2019
Shift Length: 8 hours
Location: UMass Memorial Health Care - University CampusPosition Summary:
Under the general direction of the Financial Counseling Supervisor/Manager and/or Financial Clearance Director, provides guidance and assistance to patients, various internal UMass staff, physician offices and third party vendors regarding financial assistance programs.
The Financial Counselor is charged with the responsibility of interacting with patients, the community and outside agencies in a professional manner in keeping with the Mission and Vision of UMMHC.
High School Graduate required. Associate or Bachelor's degree in Business, Social Services or related field preferred. Certified Application Counselor (CAC)certification required within 3 months of hire as a condition of employment. Minimum of 2 years of experience in Healthcare, accounts receivable, or related field required with a Minimum of 2year of experience in Financial Counseling and/or Medical Billing preferred.
English speaking, reading and writing skills required; bilingual preferred. Proficient data-entry skills with attention to detail. Effective communication and customer service skills both verbal and written.
Ability to use specialized applications software and computers systems for patient registration and scheduling. Demonstrated knowledge of business office products and medical terminology.
Holiday and/or weekend shift work, as well as after-hours coverage as required. Must provide own transportation.
Ability to work in high volume, team-oriented environment. Ability to take directions and work independently.
Department-specific competencies, including age-specific competencies, and their measurements will be developed and maintained in the individual departments. The competencies will be maintained and attached to the departmental job description. Responsible managers will review competencies with the position incumbents.
- Performs a variety of duties to ensure that reimbursement is obtained for medical services provided to the uninsured, and underinsured patient population.
- Interviews, screens, counsels and orients the appropriate patient population and members of the community, in a variety of settings on multiple campuses, regarding available financial assistance options.
- Processes all necessary paperwork and follow-up for appropriate programs according to state, federal and hospital regulations and policies.
- Obtains appropriate confidential and medical information to establish eligibility for various financial assistance programs.
- Facilitates patient understanding of health access options including but not limited to: eligibility rules, coverage types, products and plans available through MassHealth, the Health Connector, Medicaid Managed Care, and the Health Safety Net program.
Standards of Respect:
We're striving to make respect a part of everything we do at UMass Memorial - for our patients and for each other. We're expecting that our new caregivers practice our six Standards of Respect: Acknowledge, Listen, Communicate, Be Responsive, Be a Team Player, and Be Kind, to help us make respect a part of how we take care of business everyday.
Keywords: UMass Memorial Health Care, Worcester , Financial Counselor, Accounting, Auditing , Worcester, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!