Unit Secretary, Emergency Department, 30hrs, Evenings
Company: UMass Memorial Health Care
Posted on: November 24, 2022
Title: Unit Secretary
Department: Emergency Department
Location: UMass Memorial Health - Healthcare Alliance Clinton,
Posting Date: 6/21/2022
Shift Length: 10
HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital is part of the UMass Memorial
Health Care system. Serving northern central Massachusetts, we are
committed to improving the health of people through excellence in
care and comprehensive health services. Promoting healthy lifestyle
habits, we serve as a role model by having a tobacco and smoke free
campus and hiring nicotine free employees. By exploring careers
with us, you are committed to giving your best to our patients, our
community and everyone working on our HealthAlliance-Clinton
Hospital Care Team. Whatever your career choice, know that at
HealthAlliance-Clinton Hospital you can make a difference.
The Unit Secretary - Emergency Department (ED) acts as a front line
interface and performs a variety of clerical and administrative
support tasks to help foster smooth, efficient patient care
activities for the Emergency Department.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Job duties specific to this position:
* Acts as a central communications point person for the department.
Coordinates the flow of information to and from all areas within
the department. Contacts physicians, fields internal and external
phone calls, and prioritizes urgent patient information.
* Assists in maintaining the order, organization and currency of
logs and records and patient charts. Helps ensure an efficient
sharing of information within the unit.
* Processes information needed for a variety of patient services
and treatment areas such as radiology, the laboratory, dietary,
* Arranges for laboratory tests, radiology procedures, treatments
for rehabilitative services such as physical therapy, etc.
* Enters data and orders into computer system.
* Performs a various routine clerical duties, such as sorting and
faxing information, maintaining files, records and logs, taking and
relaying phone messages and routine information.
* Assists in maintaining proper inventory of standard supplies and
materials. Prepares requisitions to maintain established
* Answers inquiries for routine information and directs other
requests to appropriate persons.
* Arranges for patient transport.
* Participates in training and performance improvement activities
Job duties for all positions:
* The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of
HealthAlliance Hospitals and serve as a role model for the CARES-
It Happens Here customer service initiative.
* Demonstrates excellent work attendance and attends and actively
participates in a variety of meetings and training sessions as
* Demonstrates a friendly, responsive, service-minded attitude to
* Communicates ideas effectively. Shares information and keeps
others properly informed. Gives, and is open to useful
* Adheres to the HealthAlliance Hospital Code of Conduct and
Behavior Standards. Complies with established policies and
procedures and all regulatory and health and safety
* Maintains, and fosters, a clean, safe work environment.
* Actively contributes to the development and application of
* Maintains a collaborative, team relationship with peers and
colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the group's
achievement of goals and to help foster a positive work
* Demonstrates respect for the diversity of patient and employee
populations. Supports and encourages diverse points of view, work
* Practices cost containment and fiscal responsibility through the
efficient use of supplies, equipment, time, etc.
* Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
* The ability to perform a wide range of standard clerical skills
and work efficiently in a busy, fast paced, direct patient care
* Knowledge of medical terminology.
* Basic knowledge of the practices and procedures of the emergency
* Proficient in patient care communication skills.
* Knowledge of MS Office applications and the ability to use
computers to record, reference and enter basic information.
* Ability to read, write and speak clearly in English.
High School diploma required.
Previous hospital or healthcare experience (6-12 months)
An equivalent combination of education and experience which
provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above
may be substituted for the above education and experience
Keywords: UMass Memorial Health Care, Worcester , Unit Secretary, Emergency Department, 30hrs, Evenings, Administration, Clerical , Clinton, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!