MEDICAL OFFICE ASSISANT
Company: UMASS Memorial Medical Center
Posted on: December 9, 2018
Requisition #: 190854
Title: Medical Office Assistant
Department: Ambulatory Transformation Dept
Posting Date: November 29, 2018
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center - University Campus
UMass Memorial Medical Center is the region's trusted academic medical center, and part of the UMass Memorial Health Care system. We are committed to improving the health of people in Central Massachusetts through excellence in care, comprehensive health services, teaching and research.
Provides patient care by assisting with the implementation of care plans. Takes and records vital signs such as blood pressures, temperatures, height, weight, etc. Performs EKG's, assists physician and others with clinical procedures such as urine cultures, pregnancy tests, throat cultures, etc. Performs phlebotomy. Performs a variety of clerical functions to support office functions.
- Provides patient care. Collects and documents patient health status, documents and monitors patient progress following standard procedures.
- Coordinates patient flow and prepares patient for examination. Takes and records vital signs, and results of medical procedures including but not limited to EKG's, POC ISTAT, etc. Documents intake. Performs other basic clinical procedures such as venipuncture as necessary.
- Assists providers and others in clinic specific procedures as directed by LIP.
- Performs basic office laboratory procedures as necessary such as urinalysis, urine culture, hematocrit, sed rate, monospot, pregnancy tests, throat cultures and related procedures. Performs phlebotomy as required or directed.
- Cleans, sterilizes and repackages instruments and scopes as assigned. Has required skills to operate the sterilization/cleaning systems as necessary.
- Directs medical calls per office protocol. Returns patient calls and documents in patient record as required or directed. Processes prescription and refills as directed. Document prescription calls.
- Reviews laboratory results and ensures abnormal results are immediately brought to the attention of the physicians and others as appropriate.
- Maintains records, reports, logs and other statistical information as required or directed.
- Performs a variety of clerical duties such as typing, filing, scheduling appointments, generating letters and form preparation, making phone calls and related duties as required or directed.
- Schedules and coordinates patient visits.
- Issues and verifies patients' managed care referral as necessary.
- Registers patients for each patient visit, utilizing computer-based registration/scheduling system.
- Verifies patient's insurance coverage and eligibility.
- Collects co-payments from patients for visits, maintains records and makes daily cash deposit.
- Maintains assigned office and/or clinical supplies. Assures accurate inventory of supplies based on approved levels. Rotates stock as required. Initiates requisitions for re-supply or special items. Follows up with personnel outside the medical office to expedite timely action and alleviate or report delays as appropriate.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of accredited program for Medical Assistants or in Medical Office Assisting (MOA) at an accredited school or
Certification or Registration as a Medical Assistant or Medical Office Assistant from American Registry of Medical Assistants (ARMA), American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), American Allied Health Association (AAHA), American Medical Technologists (AMT), National Healthcareer Association (NHA), National Center for Competency Testing or the Monty Technical School.
- Must be certified or registered as a Medical Assistant or Medical Office Assistant. This certification or registration must be maintained.
- BLS Certification for the Healthcare Provider
- Knowledge of office and laboratory procedures.
- Must be able to read, write, and communicate in English in a clear and concise manner.
- Must utilize proper safety techniques and body mechanics in all work-related activities.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills to gather information from individuals, build relationships that support collaborative work within the clinic and provide exceptional service to patients.
- Must have proven problem-solving abilities for routine situations and request assistance from identified resources when needed.
- Must be able to remain calm when under stress or in emergency situations.
- Minimum of three years of relevant experience.
- Medical terminology and computer skills.
Keywords: UMASS Memorial Medical Center, Worcester , MEDICAL OFFICE ASSISANT, Administration, Clerical , Worcester, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!