Principal Automation Engineer
Company: AbbVie, Inc.
Posted on: February 25, 2021
- Worcester, United States of America; Massachusetts, United
States of America
- 2100963 Job Description About AbbVie
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines
that solve serious health issues today and address the medical
challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on
people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology,
oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and
gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its
Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie,
please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter ,
Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
Role Summary:The Principal Automation Engineer will have
responsibility for maintaining regulatory aspects of manufacturing
control networks, control and monitoring systems, and data
collection used throughout AbbVie Bioresearch Center's biologics
manufacturing facility. Through their skill and leadership
abilities, they shall ensure the success of automation and
engineering projects at the site.--Responsibilities & Essential
- Responsible for design, development, and testing of process
automation systems such as Foxboro I/A DCS, Rockwell PLCs,
- Responsible for providing support to manufacturing data
historian and analytics systems such as OSISoft PI, Smart Factory
- Apply engineering principles and technical expertise in
supporting project execution and operational support
- Provide leadership, mentoring, and knowledge sharing to junior
- Provide automation improvements based on cGMP's related to the
operation, validation, and maintenance of manufacturing related
- Support project execution, operational startup and handover of
automation and target equipment systems to end-users.
- Participate in continual improvement programs as required.
- Support commissioning and qualification activities as
- Follow applicable standard operating procedures while working
with qualified systems.
- Assist departmental objectives by proactively identifying
continuous improvement opportunities and developing strategic
- Support operations on a rotating 24/7 on-call shift.--
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Chemical
Engineering, or related discipline, along with a minimum 10 years
of progressive work experience required.
- Desire to lead a team of engineers or previous experience
leading a team preferred.
- Experience programming, troubleshooting, and leading continuous
improvement projects with process automation systems such as
Foxboro I/A, Rockwell ControlLogix, Emerson DeltaV, etc.
- Theoretical and applied knowledge of process instrumentation,
continuous process control, S88 batch programming required.
- Experience with PLCs (such as Allen-Bradley ControlLogix),
programming in ladder logic and instructional texts, and HMI screen
development and management preferred.
- Experience with commissioning and qualification, and
computerized systems validation required.
- Experience with communication protocols such as DeviceNet,
Foundation Fieldbus, Profibus, Modbus, BACnet, etc. preferred
- Experience interfacing/configuring data historian systems such
as OSISoft PI preferred.
- Experience designing, implementing, and administering Windows
Server Operating Systems and related components including Active
Directory, NTFS Setup and Security, User Administration, TCP/IP
with DHCP, WINS and DNS preferred.
- Experience working in biologics production environment
preferred.Other Skills, Attributes and Abilities:
- Ability to lead large capital projects and initiatives.
- Ability and aspiration to lead a team of engineers.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Ability to assist customers in a pleasant, non-technical manner
for problem resolution.
- Proven ability to recognize symptoms, analyze system data, and
take corrective actions when problems arise.
- Ability to apply automation solutions and troubleshoot complex
problems to address business needs.Physical & Safety Requirements:
- This position requires good visual acuity, with a large portion
of the time using a PC or other screens.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse
backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients.
As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex
(including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical
condition, genetic information gender identity or expression,
sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or
any other legally protected characteristic.
As an online job seeker, you could be a target of cyber (online)
thieves seeking to secure personal information from you by sending
you "phishing" messages. Please be alert to and protect yourself
from phishing scams. Click here to find out how you can avoid being
a victim of job phishing scams.
Keywords: AbbVie, Inc., Worcester , Principal Automation Engineer, Engineering , Worcester, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!