Director, Indirect Sourcing
Company: BJ's Wholesale Club
Posted on: August 5, 2022
Join a team of more than 32,000 team members, comprised of our
home office and over 229 clubs and 7 distribution centers. We're
committed to delivering value and convenience to our Members,
helping them save every day on everything they need for their
family and home. BJ's Wholesale Club offers a collaborative,
team-oriented environment where all team members can learn, grow
and excel. -The Director will provide leadership and direction to
the Indirect Strategic Sourcing team assigned to all
non-merchandise categories. The primary purpose of the position is
to drive value, cost savings and results across all spend
categories while adhering to BJ's policies and procedures. Primary
responsibilities will include communication of initiatives; the
alignment of robust category strategies with business requirements;
strategically sourcing and negotiating contracts; and, maintaining
efficient sourcing operations. Frequent independent judgments are
essential. The Director contributes significantly to SS&P's
mission in developing and maintaining a world-class sourcing and
procurement organization and is accountable for achieving assigned
cost savings targets. -
Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key Accountabilities
- Provide leadership and direction to assigned members of
Indirect Strategic Sourcing team
- Responsible for leading the team in helping to manage
categories such as Facilities, Real Estate, Supply Chain &
Logistics, MRO, Marketing, Supplies, IT, Accounting and Finance,
Asset Protection, and Operations.
- Candidate should have subject matter expertise in either
Marketing or Real Estate and Facilities Management.
- Work with company leadership to identify, manage and prioritize
the sourcing and procurement of all non-merchandise spend to align
with companywide goals and objectives. This includes collaborating
with the Chief Procurement Officer for annual pipeline planning and
- Make staffing decisions to determine hiring, evaluation,
counseling, and termination of personnel to meet company
- Guide the assigned team through the sourcing process, market
trend analysis, negotiation strategy, and supplier selection
methodology to optimize value (cost, quality, and service
- Represent and lead BJ's in all supplier and contract
negotiations while driving EBITDA and reducing business risk. This
duty requires strict adherence to the Home Office Policy Manual:
Contract Approval Schedule Section 601 which includes managing the
review process (Accounting, Legal, IT Security, Privacy Office, and
Risk Management) and ending with entry into the designated contract
- Acting as a financial steward, the Director must identify,
spearhead and manage project teams to reduce total cost of
ownership while meeting and enhancing business financial goals and
objectives (costs, service, quality, policies, supply & risk
- Develop, manage, inspire and motivate team talent to support
the strategic sourcing strategy (practices, tools & technologies)
across assigned categories
- Support and deliver superior customer service to all
departments in the sourcing of non-merchandise items by being a
project manager, consultant and a thought leader of specifically
- Through project work, Team Member must build strong
collaborative relationships by effectively communicating cost
reduction opportunities with C level executives, cost center
stakeholders, and strategic sourcing teams.
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, within the
scope and budget while ensuring technical feasibility.
- Manage all team projects and track results.
- Develop project plans to track progress and use techniques to
manage changes in resource availability, project scope, schedule,
- Measure project performance of the team by using suitable
systems, tools, and methods.
- Perform risk management to minimize project risks. Report and
escalate to management as needed.
- Develop market trend intelligence, volume forecasts, conduct
financial analysis that includes the total cost of ownership,
landed cost comparisons, buy vs. lease, ROI and payback
- Responsibilities include monitoring commodity pricing to reduce
supply risk and ensuring the best pricing possible for commodity
- To reduce supply risk and unforeseen price volatility, Team
Member, must also conduct supplier diligence and development to
increase competition and negotiate limits to commodity exposure in
contracts while developing long-term strategies.
- Re-engineer the purchasing and usage process to achieve higher
levels of efficiency through process improvement. Promote
continuous cost reduction, quality improvement, and strategic
- Operational responsibilities include preparing weekly status
reports, performance appraisals, setting goals, facilitating team
meetings, contract processing, etc.
- Duties may change, and Team Member may be required to perform
other duties as assigned.
- 8+ years' experience
- Bachelor's Degree required. Master's Degree preferred.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong communication skills are essential, particularly the
ability to cater messaging to varying audiences.
- Strategic thinking, analytical thinking, negotiation skills,
and leadership skills are all essential for success in this role. -
Keywords: BJ's Wholesale Club, Worcester , Director, Indirect Sourcing, Executive , Westborough, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!