NURSE MANAGER, Emergency Department
Company: UMASS Memorial Medical Center
Posted on: December 8, 2018
Requisition #: 190125
Title: Nurse Manager
Department: Emergency Room
Posting Date: October 29, 2018
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center - University Campus
UMass Memorial Medical Center is the region's trusted academic medical center, and part of the UMass Memorial Health Care system. We are committed to improving the health of people in Central Massachusetts through excellence in care, comprehensive health services, teaching and research.
Reporting to the Associate Chief Nurse, Senior Director, or Director, the Nurse Manager is responsible and accountable for the 24 hour planning, organizing, directing, and coordination of clinical and administrative performance of assigned unit(s). Facilitates collaboration with medical and administrative leadership to assure patient needs are met and evaluates nursing care and patient outcomes. The scope of responsibilities include clinical and safety practices of nurses and other members of the clinical team, professional nursing practice, leadership and professional growth, human resource management, financial performance, system coordination and clinical performance (safety, satisfaction and quality) improvement.
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) required, or Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) required with employee currently enrolled in a qualified MSN program. Massachusetts Registered Nurse License required. Broad and thorough knowledge of the discipline of Nursing required. Minimum 3 years of directly related work experience in the field of specialty preferred. Previous leadership/management experience required.
Must possess the interpersonal and communication skills to provide effective participative leadership and to interact with patients, families, physicians, and other visitors and staff.
Strong analytical skills required to perform various data analysis techniques, review statistical and budgetary information and synthesize information appropriately.
- Coordinates clinical practice and deployment of resources at the unit level to ensure ongoing implementation of nursing process and adherence to standards.
- Conducts daily patient care rounds, assessing patient care requirements and monitoring nursing & ancillary staff performance to achieve safe, cost effective and quality patient care.
- Directs the oversight of clinical practice through continuity of nursing assignments to optimize the patient plan of care.
- Ensures the nursing process is utilized for each patient and a plan of care is established, coordinated, and delivered to each patient and family.
- Creates and sustains a collaborative, patient-focused environment supporting excellence in clinical and service practices.
- Assures the efficient daily operations of assigned unit(s), including appropriate staffing levels, equipment and supplies, bed and/or examination room management, workflow and productivity to meet patient needs.
- Delegate's appropriate responsibilities to others including, but not limited to, clinical coordinators, nursing supervisors, nurse practitioners, resource nurses and/or educators.
- Implements nursing standards, policies and procedures.
- Ensures a positive work environment that is safe for patients, visitors and staff.
- Maintains compliance with regulatory standards including, but not limited to, JC and DPH.
- Ensures unit-based standards of care are in accordance with departmental, organizational and/or compliance related standards.
- Maintains and displays knowledge of current profession/clinical issues and practices through participation in professional organization and certification in field of nursing.
- Demonstrates and role models principles of ethical professional nursing practice.
- Participates in Nursing Staff Organization; a shared governance model of practice through membership in nursing leadership council. Represents the department of nursing in various committees and task force activities throughout the medical center.
Leadership/Management, Human Resources
- Assesses candidates, through behavioral and peer interviewing, for appropriate positions within the unit and makes recommendations for hire, transfers, promotions and/or other staff changes.
- Coordinates with educators for orientation of new clinical staff.
- Provides oversight of all staff and unit educators including completion of specific performance reviews.
- Assures appropriate orientation, competence assessment, in-service training and continuing education for all staff.
- Ensures the proper documentation for recruiting, on-boarding, evaluating and terminating staff are completed timely and thoroughly. (i.e. position requisition, orientation checklist, separation).
- Assures licensing certification for all staff is current.
- Ensures job descriptions are reflective of current job duties and responsibilities and performance evaluations are completed for staff timely according to HR policies.
- Fosters an awareness of the diversity that exists within the organization and strives to increase it by including culture, ethnicity, gender and age; promoting an environment that is sensitive to the needs of diverse populations.
- Leads and influences the development of staff by creating a practice climate of responsiveness and learning which supports retention and recruitment of competent nurses and team members.
- Develops staff by assisting them to identify goals and appropriate opportunities for learning.
- Provides forums for individual and team recognition.
- Coaches and supports staff by removing barriers and addressing issues.
- Promotes communication and feedback through regularly scheduled staff meetings and other venues.
- Informs Director and Associate Chief Nursing Officer of staff concerns.
- Maintains current knowledge of labor and employment laws impacting staff in own unit and/or those that impact areas across the medical center. Maintains knowledge of current union contracts within own area of responsibility.
- Establishes a climate for open, two-way communication and builds relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Develops, implements and updates recognition initiatives valued by the unit/area.
- Encourages staff participation in Nursing Staff Organization Governance councils.
- Facilitates staff attendance at in-service programs, teaching opportunities, staff meetings and rounding.
- Uses tools such as employee surveys to measure staff morale with a focus toward recognition and developing action plans for improvements.
Budgetary Planning and Financial Performance
- Develops annual departmental budgets based on established patient care indicators, projected volumes and patient populations.
- Maintains cost effective staffing patterns based on department of nursing approved staffing budgets.
- Maintains Onestaff master staffing plans, position control and produces monthly staffing schedule aligned with departmental standards.
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility via monitoring of salaries and supply expenses, prepares and submits variance reports.
- Develops capital budgets in collaboration with medical staff for assigned units/areas.
- Educates staff regarding unit and medical center budgets in order to promote awareness and instill accountability for the financial performance of the unit. Seeks medical leadership and staff feedback on changes that impact such performance.
- Prioritizes projects in line with financial goals and resource allocation of staff and material.
Quality, Safety and Experience Improvements
- Links departmental goals to department of nursing/organizational goals and strategic plans.
- Actively coordinates clinical quality improvement and safety efforts on the unit with defined medical center quality and safety goals.
- Facilitates patient flow through timely admissions and discharges in collaboration with medical staff and case management to assure proper utilization of resources.
- Works collaboratively to solve problems, improve processes and integrate services within the department and with other departments.
- Develops and implements service initiatives on unit using/tailoring organizational tools and programs such as Because We Care, Our Commitments, etc.
- Creates and sustains an environment that encourages feedback, problem-solving, self-evaluation and innovation as the way work is accomplished and improvements achieved.
- Promotes patient satisfaction initiatives at the unit level to address metrics identified below target goals.
- Actively seeks information about the underlying needs of patients, families, and employees and seeks to match those needs.
- Collaborates with other disciplines to ensure quality and continuity of care.
- Communicates quality and safety reports to staff and facilitates active participation of staff to improve metrics and outcome measures.
- Promotes the importance of Nursing Quality Indicators, Patient's First Reports, Core Measures and patient satisfaction data to staff.
- Submits data for annual PPR, corrective action plans and clinical performance metrics as identified by the Department of Nursing.
- Articulates patient care standards as published by JC, CMS and professional nursing literature.
- Understands, articulates, and ensures compliance with the State Nurse Practice Act, State Board of Nursing regulations, state and local regulatory agency standards and policies of the organization.
- Supports initiatives to incorporate research and evidence based practice knowledge into nursing practice.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with community agencies, groups, professional affiliations, etc as appropriate. Encourages staff participation and support to meet community needs in conjunction with medical center initiatives.
Performs similar or related duties as required or directed.
All responsibilities are essential job functions.
Keywords: UMASS Memorial Medical Center, Worcester , NURSE MANAGER, Emergency Department, Executive , Worcester, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!