Nurse Manager, Bone Marrow Transplant Unit (BMTU)
Company: UMASS Memorial Medical Center
Posted on: July 14, 2019
Requisition #: 191148
Title: Manager, Nurse
Department: BMTU / Oncology
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center – University Campus
UMass Memorial Medical Center is the region's trusted academic
medical center, and part of the UMass Memorial Health Care system.
We are committed to improving the health of people in Central
Massachusetts through excellence in care, comprehensive health
services, teaching and research.
The Nurse Manager is responsible and accountable for the 24-hour
planning, organizing, directing, and coordination of clinical and
administrative performance of assigned unit(s). Facilitates
collaboration with medical and administrative leadership to assure
patient needs are met and evaluates nursing care and patient
outcomes. The scope of responsibilities includes clinical and
safety practices of nurses and other members of the clinical team,
professional nursing practice, leadership and professional growth,
human resource management, financial performance, system
coordination and clinical performance (safety, satisfaction and
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) required, or Bachelor of
Science in Nursing (BSN) required with employee currently enrolled
in a qualified MSN program.
- Massachusetts Registered Nurse License required.
- Broad and thorough knowledge of the discipline of Nursing.
- Previous leadership/management experience.
- Must possess the interpersonal and communication skills to
provide effective participative leadership and to interact with
patients, families, physicians, and other visitors and staff.
- Strong analytical skills required to perform various data
analysis techniques, review statistical and budgetary information
and synthesize information appropriately.
- Minimum 3 years of directly related work experience in the
field of Bone Marrow Transplant and/or Oncology preferred.
- Coordinates clinical practice and deployment of resources at
the unit level to ensure ongoing implementation of nursing process
and adherence to standards.
- Conducts daily patient care rounds, assessing patient care
requirements and monitoring nursing & ancillary staff performance
to achieve safe, cost effective and quality patient care.
- Directs the oversight of clinical practice through continuity
of nursing assignments to optimize the patient plan of care.
- Ensures the nursing process is utilized for each patient and a
plan of care is established, coordinated, and delivered to each
patient and family.
- Creates and sustains a collaborative, patient-focused
environment supporting excellence in clinical and service
- Assures the efficient daily operations of assigned unit(s),
including appropriate staffing levels, equipment and supplies, bed
and/or examination room management, workflow and productivity to
meet patient needs.
- Delegate's appropriate responsibilities to others including,
but not limited to, clinical coordinators, nursing supervisors,
nurse practitioners, resource nurses and/or educators.
- Implements nursing standards, policies and procedures.
- Ensures a positive work environment that is safe for patients,
visitors and staff.
- Maintains compliance with regulatory standards including, but
not limited to, JC and DPH.
- Ensures unit-based standards of care are in accordance with
departmental, organizational and/or compliance related
- Maintains and displays knowledge of current profession/clinical
issues and practices through participation in professional
organization and certification in field of nursing.
- Demonstrates and role model's principles of ethical
professional nursing practice.
- Participates in Nursing Staff Organization; a shared governance
model of practice through membership in nursing leadership council.
Represents the department of nursing in various committees and task
force activities throughout the medical center.
Leadership/Management, Human Resources
- Assesses candidates, through behavioral and peer interviewing,
for appropriate positions within the unit and makes recommendations
for hire, transfers, promotions and/or other staff changes.
- Coordinates with educators for orientation of new clinical
- Provides oversight of all staff and unit educators including
completion of specific performance reviews.
- Assures appropriate orientation, competence assessment,
in-service training and continuing education for all staff.
- Ensures the proper documentation for recruiting, on-boarding,
evaluating and terminating staff are completed timely and
thoroughly. (i.e. position requisition, orientation checklist,
- Assures licensing certification for all staff is current.
- Ensures job descriptions are reflective of current job duties
and responsibilities and performance evaluations are completed for
staff timely according to HR policies.
- Fosters an awareness of the diversity that exists within the
organization and strives to increase it by including culture,
ethnicity, gender and age; promoting an environment that is
sensitive to the needs of diverse populations.
- Leads and influences the development of staff by creating a
practice climate of responsiveness and learning which supports
retention and recruitment of competent nurses and team
- Develops staff by assisting them to identify goals and
appropriate opportunities for learning.
- Provides forums for individual and team recognition.
- Coaches and supports staff by removing barriers and addressing
- Promotes communication and feedback through regularly scheduled
staff meetings and other venues.
- Informs Director and Associate Chief Nursing Officer of staff
- Maintains current knowledge of labor and employment laws
impacting staff in own unit and/or those that impact areas across
the medical center. Maintains knowledge of current union contracts
within own area of responsibility.
- Establishes a climate for open, two-way communication and
builds relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Develops, implements and updates recognition initiatives valued
by the unit/area.
- Encourages staff participation in Nursing Staff Organization
- Facilitates staff attendance at in-service programs, teaching
opportunities, staff meetings and rounding.
- Uses tools such as employee surveys to measure staff morale
with a focus toward recognition and developing action plans for
Budgetary Planning and Financial Performance
- Develops annual departmental budgets based on established
patient care indicators, projected volumes and patient
- Maintains cost effective staffing patterns based on department
of nursing approved staffing budgets.
- Maintains Onestaff master staffing plans, position control and
produces monthly staffing schedule aligned with departmental
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility via monitoring of salaries
and supply expenses, prepares and submits variance reports.
- Develops capital budgets in collaboration with medical staff
for assigned units/areas.
- Educates staff regarding unit and medical center budgets in
order to promote awareness and instill accountability for the
financial performance of the unit. Seeks medical leadership and
staff feedback on changes that impact such performance.
- Prioritizes projects in line with financial goals and resource
allocation of staff and material
Quality, Safety and Experience Improvements
- Links departmental goals to department of
nursing/organizational goals and strategic plans.
- Actively coordinates clinical quality improvement and safety
efforts on the unit with defined medical center quality and safety
- Facilitates patient flow through timely admissions and
discharges in collaboration with medical staff and case management
to assure proper utilization of resources.
- Works collaboratively to solve problems, improve processes and
integrate services within the department and with other
- Develops and implements service initiatives on unit
using/tailoring organizational tools and programs such as Because
We Care, Our Commitments, etc.
- Creates and sustains an environment that encourages feedback,
problem-solving, self-evaluation and innovation as the way work is
accomplished and improvements achieved.
- Promotes patient satisfaction initiatives at the unit level to
address metrics identified below target goals.
- Actively seeks information about the underlying needs of
patients, families, and employees and seeks to match those
- Collaborates with other disciplines to ensure quality and
continuity of care.
- Communicates quality and safety reports to staff and
facilitates active participation of staff to improve metrics and
- Promotes the importance of Nursing Quality Indicators,
Patient's First Reports, Core Measures and patient satisfaction
data to staff.
- Submits data for annual PPR, corrective action plans and
clinical performance metrics as identified by the Department of
- Articulates patient care standards as published by JC, CMS and
professional nursing literature.
- Understands, articulates, and ensures compliance with the State
Nurse Practice Act, State Board of Nursing regulations, state and
local regulatory agency standards and policies of the
- Supports initiatives to incorporate research and evidence based
practice knowledge into nursing practice.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with
community agencies, groups, professional affiliations, etc as
appropriate. Encourages staff participation and support to meet
community needs in conjunction with medical center initiatives.
Standard Management Level Responsibilities:
- Directs and supervises assigned personnel including performance
evaluations, scheduling, orientation, and training. Makes
recommendations on employee hires, transfers, promotions, salary
changes, discipline, terminations, and similar actions. Resolves
grievances and other personnel problems within position
- Develops and recommends the budgets for the areas managed.
Manages activities to assure financial goals are met.
- Coordinates the assignment of tasks and helps resolve technical
and operational problems. Evaluates the impact of solutions to
ensure goals are achieved.
- Provides effective direction, guidance, and leadership over the
staff for effective teamwork and motivation, and fosters the
effective integration of efforts with system-wide initiatives.
- Encourages and supports diverse views and approaches, creating
an environment of professionalism, respect, tolerance, civility and
acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors.
- Integrates diversity into departmental objectives, such as
hiring, promotions, training, vendor selections, etc.
- Participates in performance improvement initiatives and
demonstrates the use of quality improvement in daily
- Ensures compliance with regulatory agencies such as Joint
Commission, DPH, etc. Develops and maintains procedures necessary
to meet regulatory requirements.
- Ensures that department complies with hospital established
policies, quality assurance programs, safety, and infection control
policies and procedures.
- Ensures adequate equipment and supplies for department.
- Develops and maintains established departmental policies,
procedures, and objectives.
- Ensures compliance to all health and safety regulations and
- Maintains, regular, reliable, and predictable attendance.
- Performs similar or related duties as required or directed.
All responsibilities are essential job functions.
Keywords: UMASS Memorial Medical Center, Worcester , Nurse Manager, Bone Marrow Transplant Unit (BMTU), Executive , Worcester, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!