Clinical Assistant- Milford Satellite
Company: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Posted on: November 22, 2021
Overview POSITION SUMMARY: The Clinical Assistant is responsible
for direct care provided to patients and for contributing to
efficient operations in the patient care environment. Direct
patient care activities include, but are not limited to, obtaining
vital signs, meeting the comfort needs of patients, drawing and
collecting blood & other samples and assisting nursing/medical
staff in performing invasive procedures, such as bone marrow
aspirates. Indirect patient care activities include those that
support clinic operations such as ordering and stocking clinical
supplies and patient education materials, cleaning patient care
areas and infusion room, transporting patients and specimens as
needed, and monitoring the environment of care. Located in Boston
and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is a
leader in life changing breakthroughs in cancer research and
patient care. We are united in our mission of conquering cancer,
HIV/AIDS and related diseases. We strive to create an inclusive,
diverse, and equitable environment where we provide compassionate
and comprehensive care to patients of all backgrounds, and design
programs to promote public health particularly among high-risk and
underserved populations. We conduct groundbreaking research that
advances treatment, we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers,
and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical
School-affiliated hospitals. Responsibilities PRIMARY DUTIES AND
RESPONSIBILITIES: The following responsibilities apply to all
levels within the job family at various levels of complexity:
Clinical Assistant I and Clinical Assistant II
- Greets patients, families, and colleagues promptly in a
welcoming and courteous manner. Responds promptly and courteously
to requests for assistance from others.
- Ensures proper patient identification by verbally and visually
confirming patients' two identifiers and maintains patient safety,
privacy, confidentiality and follows guidelines under HIPAA.
- Obtains and records vital signs, pain screens, weights and
heights accurately into the medical record (Epic). Reports changes
and/or abnormalities in vital signs; findings that are outside of
defined parameters; and changes in patient's conditions to the
nursing/medical staff in a timely manner.
- Obtains specimens (urine, stool, sputum, etc.) and ensures
accurate labeling in presence of patient, using two unique patient
identifiers. Instructs patients/family members in collecting
- Performs phlebotomy and EKG as applicable and is competent in
the two-patient identifier practice.
- May precept with specific training.
- Assists with unit specific procedural needs as applicable.
- Transports patients, medical records, specimens, blood
components, equipment and supplies in accordance with Institute
- Ensures that all patients on schedule are accounted for and
communicate with providers/patients and colleagues as to
approximate wait times.
- May be required to assist with research specific patient data
entry, as applicable.
- Assures that all clinical areas have an adequate stock of
medical supplies, equipment, and forms.
- Manages room assignments in order to maintain patient flow.
Ability to strategize the day's workload and make recommendations
- Assist with medical record preparation.
- Properly cleans and maintains equipment and patient care
- Safely manages hazards of biomedical waste and chemotherapy
- Maintains a working knowledge of current computer systems used
in clinical areas.
- Utilizes Epic to identify patients that require infection
control precautions and take appropriate steps accordingly
- Understands and utilizes the telephone/pager systems, including
text paging staff, call system and emergency response system.
- Provides proactive instruction and time expectations to patient
- Communicates patient and family status difficulties and
concerns to appropriate staff.
- Works collaboratively with leadership to determine repair needs
of equipment and/or future equipment needs of the unit.
- Attends mandatory training and education sessions, completes
mandatory annual competency assessments and follows Institute
- Accepts additional responsibilities based on the changing needs
of patients, families, staff and unit.
- Recognizes and responds to emergency situations appropriately.
Maintains BLS certification.
- Monitors the environment of care with attention to patient
safety. Assures compliance with regulatory agency standards.
Qualifications At Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, we work every day
to create an innovative, caring, and inclusive environment where
every patient, family, and staff member feels they belong. As
relentless as we are in our mission to reduce the burden of cancer
for all, we are equally committed to diversifying our faculty and
staff. Cancer knows no boundaries and when it comes to hiring the
most dedicated and diverse professionals, neither do we. If working
in this kind of organization inspires you, we encourage you to
apply. MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or GED required; college coursework
- Clinical Qualification:
- Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant Program; or
- 1 year of experience in a Medical Assistant, Clinical
Assistant, Certified Nursing Assistant or related clinical role
(i.e. Emergency Medical Technician, Clinical role with military
environment or Emergency department technician experience).
- In some cases, Nurse Students in an accredited Bachelor's
program with at least 2 completed clinical rotations may be
- Phlebotomy certification may be preferred based on location
(Yawkey 2, Satellites).
- Applies Institute policies and procedures to resolve routine
issues. Works on problems of limited scope. Builds stable working
relationships internally. Clinical Assistant II In addition to the
minimum qualifications of a Clinical Assistant I:
- 2 years of equivalent experience in a medical setting.
- Developing technical expertise, applies Institute policies and
procedures to resolve a variety of issues. Works on problems of
moderate scope where analysis of situations or data requires a
review of a variety of factors.
- Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to
determine appropriate action. Builds productive internal/external
working relationships. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Clinical Assistant I and II
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal
- Self-starter with strong team player abilities
- Ability to work as an effective member of an interdisciplinary
- Ability to function in a busy work setting with patients with
- Strong analytical skills, written skills, technical skills,
problem-solving skills, attention to details, ability to balance
- Ability to be organized in a fast-paced environment, prioritize
and meet pre-determined deadlines.
- Demonstrates respectful and courteous behavior toward peers,
co-workers, visitors and management.
- Demonstrates understanding of special needs and behaviors of
age groups of the population served: young adult to geriatric.
Keywords: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Worcester , Clinical Assistant- Milford Satellite, Healthcare , Milford, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!