MANAGER, AMBULATORY & PROCEDURAL SERVICES - BARRE HEALTH CENTER
Company: UMASS Memorial Medical Center
Posted on: November 10, 2018
Requisition #: 190390
Title: Manager, Ambulatory & Procedural Services Barre Health Center
Department: Ambulatory Care Services
Posting Date: 10/30/18
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center - Barre Health Center
UMass Memorial Medical Center is the region's trusted academic medical center, and part of the UMass Memorial Health Care system. We are committed to improving the health of people in Central Massachusetts through excellence in care, comprehensive health services, teaching and research.
In conjunction with the Medical Director, Division Chief, Ambulatory Physician Leader (APL) and the Sr. Director, Ambulatory & Procedural Services, the Manager is responsible for strategic plan execution, daily planning, organizing, directing, coordinating and evaluating the activities for one or more ambulatory clinics or units. Assures the efficient day-to-day operational function of assigned areas to ensure that quality care and service are provided. Plans, organizes, directs and monitors daily clinic performance. The Manager ensures that staff adheres to system policies and procedures including ambulatory care standards, regulatory agencies, and nursing care standards (in collaboration with the Chief Nursing Officer and Ambulatory Physician Leader when appropriate to achieve targets). The Manager participates in the development of and manages the budget to target, oversees day-to-day operations of the resources (human and material), space and equipment, patient registration, scheduling, office operations, charge capture, physician relations, and the general business functions of the areas. This position reports to the Sr. Director, Ambulatory & Procedural Services.
Bachelor in Business Administration or a Bachelor of Science in Nursing required. Additional degrees for MBA or MSN preferred. A minimum of 3 years directly related work experience in the field of specialty preferred. Proficiency with Microsoft applications is required.
Exceptional analytical skills are necessary in order to perform various data analysis techniques, review statistical data for the purpose of departmental planning and control, in the preparation and maintenance of budgets and in problem solving.
Prior leadership/managerial experience with proven team building is required. Must have proven project management and presentation skills.
Must possess the interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written) to provide effective participative leadership and to interact with patients, families, physicians, and other visitors and staff.
- Coordinates clinical practice and deployment of resources at the clinic level to ensure ongoing implementation of processes and adherence to standards.
- Develops Scope of Service and Plan of Care for the identified area. Submits to senior leadership for approval.
- Assists staff with the development of a cohesive, service-oriented team, and serves as a role model, mentor, coach/facilitator.
- Monitors competence of staff and ensures education to complete required competencies. Monitors continuing education participation.
- Conducts daily patient care rounds, assessing patient care requirements and monitoring nursing and ancillary staff performance to achieve safe, cost effective and quality patient care.
- Directs the oversight of clinical practice through continuity of patient care assignments to optimize the patient plan of care.
- Ensures a plan of care is established, coordinated, and delivered to each patient and family.
- Creates and sustains a collaborative, patient-focused environment supporting excellence in clinical and service practices.
- Delegates appropriate responsibilities to others including, but not limited to, clinical coordinators, APC's, Resource Nurses, Educators, LPN's, PCA's, Tech's, ASR's and others.
- Implements patient care standards, policies and procedures.
- Ensures a positive work environment that is safe for patients, visitors, and staff.
- Maintains compliance with regulatory standards including, but not limited to Joint Commission and Department of Public Health.
- Ensures clinic-based standards of care are in accordance with departmental, organizational and/or compliance related standards.
- Reviews and develops action plans based on ambulatory metrics.
- Assures the efficient daily operations of assigned units/clinics, including appropriate staffing, appropriate use of supplies, workflow, and productivity to meet patient needs and to manage to budget.
- Provides daily assignments and makes adjustments in the use of resources which optimally meet the needs of the patients and physicians for coordinated care.
- Coordinates and ensures that all ancillary and support services including patient registration, scheduling and out processing meet patient needs and service standards.
- Ensures maintenance of clinic facility and equipment in a condition that promotes efficiency, health, comfort, and safety of patients, visitors, and staff.
- Coordinates the assignment of tasks and helps resolve technical and operational issues, evaluates the impact of solutions to ensure goals are achieved.
- Chooses goals, projects, and sets priorities based on alignment with system goals.
- Reviews departmental performance, effect changes as needed to improve service and productivity.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and revision of departmental policies, procedures, and objectives to guide and support the delivery of service.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory agencies such as Joint Commission, Department of Public Health, etc. Develops and maintains procedures necessary to meet regulatory requirements.
- Ensures that the department complies with hospital established policies, including all health and safety regulations and requirements.
- Identifies systems changes to solve complex problems. Researches and obtains needed data or feedback regarding issues/problems.
- Covers for peers.
Leadership/Management, Human Resources
- Assesses candidates, through behavioral and peer interviewing, for appropriate positions within the unit/clinic and makes recommendations for hire, transfers, promotions and/or other staff changes.
- Provides oversight of all staff and unit/clinic educators including completion of specific performance reviews.
- Assures appropriate orientation, competence assessment, in-service training and continuing education for all staff.
- Ensures the proper documentation for recruiting, on-boarding, evaluating and terminating staff are completed timely and thoroughly. (i.e. position requisition, orientation checklist, separation).
- Assures licensing certification for all staff is current.
- Ensures job descriptions are reflective of current job duties and responsibilities and performance evaluations are completed for staff timely according to HR policies.
- Leads and influences the development of staff by creating a practice climate of responsiveness and learning which supports retention and recruitment of competent staff.
- Coaches and supports staff by removing barriers and addressing issues.
- Promotes communication and feedback through regularly scheduled staff meetings and other venues.
- Informs leadership of staff concerns.
- Maintains current knowledge of labor and employment laws impacting staff in own unit/clinic and/or those that impact areas across the medical center. Maintains knowledge of current union contracts within own area of responsibility.
- Establishes a climate for open, two-way communication and builds relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Develops, implements and updates recognition initiatives valued by the unit/clinic.
- Facilitates staff attendance at in-service programs, teaching opportunities, staff meetings and rounding.
- Uses tools such as employee surveys to measure staff morale with a focus toward recognition and developing action plans for improvements.
- Encourages and supports diverse views and approaches, creating an environment of professional, respect, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors.
- Integrates diversity into unit/clinics objectives, such as hiring, promotions, training, vendor selections etc.
Budgetary Planning and Financial Performance
- Collaborates with Finance and leadership to develop annual departmental budgets based on established patient care indicators, projected volumes and patient populations.
- Maintains cost effective staffing patterns based on approved staffing budgets.
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility via monitoring of salaries and supply expenses, prepares and submits variance reports.
- Develops capital budgets in collaboration with medical staff for assigned units/clinics.
- Educates staff regarding unit/clinic and medical center budgets in order to promote awareness and instill accountability for the financial performance of the unit/clinic.
Quality, Safety and Experience Improvements
- Links departmental goals to organizational goals and strategic plans.
- Actively coordinates clinical quality improvement and safety efforts on the unit/clinic with defined medical center quality and safety goals.
- Works collaboratively to solve problems, improve processes and integrate services within the unit/clinic and with other departments.
- Creates and sustains an environment that encourages feedback, problem-solving, self-evaluation and innovation as the way work is accomplished and improvements achieved.
- Promotes employee engagement and patient satisfaction initiatives at the unit/clinic level to address metrics identified below target goals.
- Actively seeks information about the underlying needs of patients, families, and employees and seeks to match those needs.
- Submits data for annual PPR, corrective action plans and clinical performance metrics..
- Articulates patient care standards as published by Joint Commission, CMS and other regulatory agencies.
- Supports initiatives to incorporate research and evidence based practice knowledge.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with community agencies, groups, professional affiliations, etc as appropriate. Encourages staff participation and support to meet community needs in conjunction with medical center initiatives.
Performs similar or related duties as required or directed.
All responsibilities are essential job functions.
Keywords: UMASS Memorial Medical Center, Worcester , MANAGER, AMBULATORY & PROCEDURAL SERVICES - BARRE HEALTH CENTER, Healthcare , Worcester, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!