Company: UMASS Memorial Medical Center
Posted on: December 9, 2018
Requisition #: 190525 Title: Surgical Aide Department: Operating Room Grade: NSG2 Posting Date: November 19, 2018 Status: Non-Exempt Shift: Evenings Union: UFCW Hours: 32 Shift Length: 8 hours Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center - Memorial Campus UMass Memorial Medical Center is the region's trusted academic medical center, and part of the UMass Memorial Health Care system. We are committed to improving the health of people in Central Massachusetts through excellence in care, comprehensive health services, teaching and research. Position Summary: The Surgical Aide reports to the Operating Room Manager and is directly supervised by that manager, or a designated Service Line Manager within Perioperative Services. Transports equipment and supplies as requested. Cleans and stores equipment. Stocks and orders standard supplies. Under direction of the Nurse Manager, assists staff in patient care and may provide constant observation of patients. As an integral member of the patient care team, serves both internal and external customers including patients, families, nurses, physicians and other colleagues who support the delivery of care and services throughout Perioperative Services. Position Qualifications: License/Certification/Education: Required:
- Minimum of a high school education or GED required.
- Current Basic Life Support or Heart Saver certification required. Experience/Skills: Required:
- Must be able to read, write and communicate in English in a clear and concise manner.
- Must utilize proper safety techniques and body mechanics in all work-related activities.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills to gather information from individuals, build relationships that support collaborative work within the department and across the organization and provide exceptional service to patients.
- Must have proven interpersonal skills to provides respectful, culturally and age appropriate communication with patients, staff, family, visitors and others.
- Must have proven problem-solving abilities for routine situations and requests assistance from identified resources when more direction is needed.
- Must be able to remain calm when under stress or in emergency situations Preferred:
- Minimum of six (6) months of health care experience.
- Medical terminology and computer skills strongly preferred. Major Responsibilities:
- Performs a wide range of delivery and distribution activities.
- Transports patients, equipment, supplies, x-rays, specimens, blood, et al to a variety of areas following safety standards.
- Keeps supervising Registered Nurse informed of their location and activities as well as all areas of concern.
- Responds to pages in a timely manner. When not transporting, is visible on unit at all times.
- Picks up and delivers supplies from the pharmacy, medical records, central supplies, and other areas as requested
- Maintains and orders supplies and equipment according to procedure. Stocks Operating Rooms, carts, and supply areas. Assembles equipment as needed.
- Assists in the preparation of Operating Rooms and other Perioperative areas.
- Picks equipment and supplies as directed by RN for patient procedures.
- Performs basic maintenance tasks such as changing compressed gas cylinders and related tasks.
- Following safety standards, assists in OR turnover to maintain patient flow and room readiness.
- Cleans areas and equipment. Maintains cleanliness and physical appearance of the unit.
- Assists with quality control equipment activities as required. Demonstrates use of quality improvement in daily operations.
- Retrieve and returns equipment, beds, and stretchers. Assists to ensure clear egress in corridors.
- Tags broken equipment and transports to repair area as necessary.
- Maintains peripheral corridors in accordance with guidelines for fire and safety codes.
- As requested, rounds on units to return equipment such as stretchers, monitors, and wheelchairs to their designated unit ensuring clear egress in all corridors.
- Under direction of a nurse, assists patients with activities of daily living such as ambulating.
- Assists RN/Licensed Independent Practitioner with treatments and procedures by preparing patient, obtaining equipment and supplies, helping to position patient, providing the patient with emotional support, and cleaning up equipment and supplies following the treatment and/or procedure.
- Assists in moving, lifting, positioning and transporting patients by utilizing proper safety techniques and body mechanics in all work-related activities.
- Provides clear, timely communication to the RN regarding observations and changes seen in patients. Assists in post mortem care and transfer to morgue following standard procedure.
- Answers telephone, as appropriate, using proper telephone etiquette. Takes and relays messages. Utilizes intra-departmental communication systems, such as pagers, intercom, as directed.
- Posts OR schedule in each room daily. Standard Staffing Level Responsibilities:
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures and objectives.
- Attends variety of meetings, conferences, seminars as required or directed.
- Demonstrates use of Quality Improvement in daily operations.
- Complies with all health and safety regulations and requirements.
- Respects diverse views and approaches, and contributes in maintaining an environment of professionalism, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors.
- Maintains, regular, reliable, and predictable attendance.
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed. All responsibilities are essential job functions.
Keywords: UMASS Memorial Medical Center, Worcester , SURGICAL AIDE, Healthcare , Worcester, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!