Nurse Navigator, Lung Screening Program, Cancer Center
Company: UMASS Memorial Medical Center
Posted on: September 13, 2019
At UMass Memorial Health Care, Everyone is a Caregiver regardless
of title. Exceptional patient care, academic excellence and
leading-edge research make UMass Memorial the premier health care
system of Central and Western Massachusetts, and a place where we
can help you build the career you deserve. We are more than 14,000
employees, working together as one health care system. And
everyone, in their own unique way, plays an important part,
Requisition #: 193384
Title: Nurse Navigator, Cancer Center
Department: Cancer Center of Excellence
Posting Date: June 24, 2019
Shift Length: 8 hours
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center - University Campus
Guides patients through the healthcare system from screening
through diagnosis, by assisting with access, developing
relationships with service providers and tracking interventions and
outcomes. Promotes a positive work environment which emphasizes
respect to our customers, patients, patients' families, physicians,
staff and other department. Serves as a clinical expert in the care
of these patients.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing
- Current Massachusetts Registered Nurse licensure and
- Oncology Certification.
- Minimum of 5 years oncology experience in specific disease site
(breast, lung, GI, etc) and post surgical nursing.
- Excellent teaching skills, consultation skills and customer
- Demonstrates leadership experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Oncology experience.
- Facilitates the entry of patients into the diagnostic and/or
treatment system and coordinates their care including family
involvement. Follows the patients throughout the continuum of
health care services across multiple departments.
- Assists patients in understanding their diagnosis, treatment
options, and resources available.
- Coordinates multidisciplinary planning conferences,
collaboratively assists with the development of patient summaries
for use by care team.
- Evaluates progress of patients along the continuum and is
responsible for professional and personal modifications along with
the healthcare team as appropriate.
- Develops relationships with all oncology providers including
but not limited to, medical oncologists, radiologist, surgical
oncologist, radiation oncologist, pathologist, plastic surgeon,
primary care physician. Serves as a liaison between the patient and
- Utilizes nursing process to comprehensively assess the
patients' physical and psychological status.
- Provides patient education across the continuum of care and
facilitates symptom management.
- Provides access to community resources and links to support
services such as: social services, nutrition services,
psychologist, pastoral care, physical therapy, rehabilitation
therapy, financial counseling, American Cancer Society, etc.
- Assists with tracking metrics and quality indicators for
diagnosing and treating promptly and effectively. Works with the
Cancer Registry staff and others to collect data and track
- Develops, implements and/or supports cancer center and
community programs/workshops/seminars/support services, etc.
Standard Staffing Level Responsibilities:
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures and
- Attends variety of meetings, conferences, seminars as required
- Demonstrates use of Quality Improvement in daily
- Complies with all health and safety regulations and
- Respects diverse views and approaches, demonstrates Standards
of Respect, and contributes to creating and maintaining an
environment of professionalism, tolerance, civility and acceptance
toward all employees, patients and visitors.
- Maintains, regular, reliable, and predictable attendance.
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or
All responsibilities are essential job functions.
We're striving to make respect a part of everything we do at UMass
Memorial - for our patients and for each other. We're expecting
that our new caregivers practice our six Standards of Respect:
Acknowledge, Listen, Communicate, Be Responsive, Be a Team Player,
and Be Kind, to help us make respect a part of how we take care of
Keywords: UMASS Memorial Medical Center, Worcester , Nurse Navigator, Lung Screening Program, Cancer Center, Healthcare , Worcester, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!