Company: College of the Holy Cross
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Jan 20, 2023
Open Until Filled
About College of the Holy Cross:
Founded in 1843 in Worcester, Massachusetts, the College of the
Holy Cross is among the nation's leading liberal arts institutions.
A highly selective, four-year, exclusively undergraduate college of
3,100 students, Holy Cross is renowned for offering a rigorous,
personalized education in the Jesuit, Catholic tradition.
Holy Cross highly values the unique skills, perspective, talents
and passion that each employee contributes to its learning
community. To work at The College is to accept an invitation to
participate in the growth and development of all campus members,
students, faculty and staff. The College's commitment to diversity
is an important feature of the Holy Cross education. Informed by
the presence of diverse interpretations of the human experience,
Holy Cross is building a community marked by freedom, mutual
respect, and civility. We seek others who support our values of
diversity and inclusiveness. Job candidates of all diverse
backgrounds who embrace the open and inclusive culture of Holy
Cross are welcome and encouraged to apply.
Reporting to the General Counsel, the Legal Assistant/Paralegal is
responsible for providing professional skills in support of the
Office of General Counsel, including, but not limited to:
- Assist College attorneys in responding to claims, lawsuits,
legal matters, and other project requests, including, but not
limited to, compliance activities, legal and governmental filings,
contract review, review and maintenance of forms, procedures and
policies, and preparation of training and written reports;
- Research and report on federal, state and local laws,
regulations, government guidelines, cases, pertinent legal changes
and other issues;
- Assist in the preparation of correspondence and legal
documentation for attorney review; compile, review, organize, and
analyze evidence, data, and documents. Cross-check and validate
information and proofread documents. Redact and produce
- Organize, track, and maintain case and other files to ensure
they are up-to-date and all necessary information for use by the
attorneys is readily available. Assist in scheduling, calendar
management, and other organizational duties as needed by the
attorneys, including but not limited to, calendaring litigation and
other deadlines, organizing and coordinating meetings and event
arrangements, and any other necessary logistics for the Office of
the General Counsel.
- Provide administrative support to College attorneys, including
assistance managing and prioritizing projects, events and training
sessions, creating and maintaining data and logs, greeting
visitors, answering phones, filing, processing invoices, budget and
general office management.
- Support the maintenance of a campus climate that values and
respects diversity, equity, inclusion, and full participation.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
- Required education: Bachelor's degree; strong academic
- Required experience: At least one year's experience as a legal
assistant or paralegal or equivalent relevant academic degree and
experience (internship, externship, relevant academic
Possess the core competencies described below.
- Similar experience in higher education
- Experience with contract review
- Experience in using legal research databases (e.g., Westlaw,
PACER) and knowledge of legal terminology
- Track record of producing high-quality work in a dynamic,
fast-paced environment. Ability to prioritize and juggle multiple
projects, and meet deadlines;
- Excellent and effective verbal and written communication
- Excellent research, analytical, and critical thinking
- Ability to handle matters with the highest degree of
confidentiality, professionalism, ethics and integrity;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain
productive and cooperative working relationships with faculty,
staff, students, and external constituents;
- Strong planning and organization abilities;
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population, to
cultivate an inclusive, diverse and welcoming environment, and to
treat all people in a respectful manner;
- Ability to perform duties with a high level accuracy, attention
to detail, and follow-though;
- Proficient in Microsoft Word (including track changes and
compare functionality), Excel, and PowerPoint, Gmail, Google
calendar and Google Docs;
- Some light lifting required up to approximately 25 pounds
periodically, sit for prolonged periods, and some repetitive
- Full-time on campus position.
To prevent the infection and spread of COVID-19, and as an integral
part of its public health and safety measures, College of the Holy
Cross requires that all successful applicants show proof of full
vaccination by an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine before beginning
employment, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted.
Applicants believing they need an accommodation of this policy
because of a disability, sincerely-held religious belief, or
otherwise should inform Human Resources after an offer of
employment is extended; please do not include any medical, genetic,
or religious information on your application materials.
The College is committed to providing competitive market pay for
its employees. The College also offers a competitive benefits
package for full-time staff, including:
- 10% College contribution to the 403(b) Retirement Plan (1 year
wait waiver available)
- NEW - condensed summer 4-day work week
- Tuition benefits
- Wellness programs & ongoing Training and Development
- Generous paid time off
- Free parking and free use of the athletic/fitness
- Click here to learn more.
The College of the Holy Cross is a private, Jesuit Catholic,
undergraduate institution serving approximately 3,100 students.
Founded in 1843, Holy Cross is the oldest Catholic college in New
England and has a tradition of academic excellence. It is located
atop Mount Saint James in Worcester, Massachusetts. The
picturesque, 174-acre campus is an award-winning and registered
Worcester is a city of approximately 200,000 people centrally
located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. It is approximately
one hour from Boston, Hartford, and Providence, and three hours
from New York City. Worcester is known as the Heart of the
Commonwealth. Worcester offers many cultural and recreational
opportunities which you can read more about here.
The College of the Holy Cross is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets
A member of the Higher Education Consortium of Central
To review our Employee Benefit Options, please go to:
Holy Cross Benefits at a Glance PDF for download: click here
Please attach a cover letter addressing the position requirements
along with your resume.
In your cover letter please address how your work supports the
College's mission as a Jesuit, undergraduate liberal arts college
(see http://www.holycross.edu/mission) and its core commitment to
diversity and inclusion. For more information, please visit
Keywords: College of the Holy Cross, Worcester , Legal Assistant/Paralegal, Legal , Worcester, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!