Veterinary Technician I
Company: University of Massachusetts Medical School
Posted on: June 12, 2021
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the supervision of the Veterinary Services Supervisor or
designee, provides clinical and laboratory support in the research
animal facilities including specimen collection, treatments,
assisting with rodent breeding colony management, animal health
rounds and some surgical assistance. This position is considered
essential, and as such requires weekend, holiday, and off hours
coverage as needed and/or on a rotating basis.
- Observe, record, and report atypical findings of animal health
or behavior, the environment and physical plant. These observations
include, but are not limited to, sick animals, maintenance
problems, safety hazards or inappropriate treatment of laboratory
- Provide clinical treatments, administer drugs and fluids,
collect body fluids, vaccinate and euthanize animals.
- Keep accurate departmental records of work activities and
communications regarding clinical cases.
- Assess and monitor health of laboratory animals, as directed by
the Supervisor of Veterinary Services, Staff Veterinarian and/or
- Handle, restrain and sex various species of laboratory
- Update animal room records as required, including census and
cage card animal identification.
- Assist with veterinary care and diagnostic sample
- Assist with management of rodent breeding colonies.
- Assist in surgery as directed.
- Assist in the collection of samples for the disease
surveillance program and perform assigned diagnostic laboratory
- Provide sanitation and disease control, as directed, in animal
the facility; may require use of aseptic techniques in barrier
rooms, quarantine, or clean housing systems.
- Provide care for animals treated with hazardous agents,
including organisms and radioisotopes in the Bio-Containment Suite
or other designated locations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- AS degree from an AVMA-accredited veterinary technology program
and 0-1 years of full-time experience in laboratory animal science
or related veterinary discipline OR
- AS degree from a non-AVMA accredited veterinary or animal
science program, or equivalent experience, with 1-3 years of
full-time experience in laboratory animal science or related
- American Association of Laboratory Science certification at the
ALAT level must be obtained within 12 months of hire. It is
expected that AALAS Registry be kept current.
- Computer proficiency and basic mathematical skills are
- Bachelor's degree in the Biological Sciences, Veterinary
Sciences, or related disciplines preferred.
- Working knowledge of experimental mouse biology
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Bending, stooping, and lifting
- Use of minimum Personal Protective Equipment; scrubs, exam
gloves, head cover, dust mask, shoe covers, and gowns is
- Must be able to shower as required to ensure that the
facilities traffic pattern policy is adhered by.
- Must avoid all rodents as pets, and entrance into animal
colonies, which might serve as a vector of disease introduction
into the research animal facility.
- This position involves work around anesthetic gases.
Keywords: University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester , Veterinary Technician I, Other , Worcester, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!