Sr. Healthcare Operations Consultant
Company: University of Massachusetts Medical School
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Under the general direction of the Deputy Executive Vice
Chancellor for Operations, (DEVCO), Commonwealth Medicine (CWM),
the Senior Healthcare Operations Consultant (SHOC) will lead and
provide consultative services to CWM clients. Commonwealth Medicine
is the public service and health care consulting division of UMass
Medical School (UMMS), which utilizes a unique public university
partnership model to work with public health and human service
agencies and other clients to anticipate, recognize and address
some of the most complex problems facing at-risk, medically
complex, disabled and economically disadvantaged populations.
The SHOC will be responsible for not only leading and providing
advice and expertise to healthcare and related client organizations
but will also assist the CWM leadership to grow the division of
healthcare operations consulting through research and development
of solutions to meet current health care delivery system
challenges. The SHOC will be not only an individual contributor on
healthcare operations related projects, but from time to time may
also lead a team of consultants during a client engagement. The
successful candidate will maintain relationships with key business
partners and other senior industry leaders in order to leverage
best practices, evaluate emerging technologies and distribute
knowledge internally to inform plans and strategies. The SHOC will
continually evaluate the performance of healthcare operations
consulting projects and oversee the successful management of such
The range of duties attendant to this senior-level consulting
position will span from internal management and operations to
external business development and relationship building. This is
primarily a client facing role and will require work on site at
client organizations. The ideal candidate will leverage a large
professional network, as well as outstanding interpersonal and
leadership skills, to develop and sustain productive working
relationships with key stakeholders and clients, including, but not
limited to: the federal government; the Commonwealth of
Massachusetts and other public sector partners; clinical systems
and hospitals; outpatient and community-based health centers; trade
associations and professional groups; consulting firms; and other
health care entities.
- Provide advice and expertise to healthcare and related client
- Supports the EVC, CWM and the DEVCO in developing a client base
to build and grow the division of healthcare operations consulting
- Develops project related assessment approaches based on
individual client organization needs.
- Coordinates the delivery of services across other CWM business
units engaged in any given consulting project.
- Engages in business development activities, including
networking with potential clients and proposal development for new
- Develops and implements appropriate project plans for assigned
- Ensures that projects have appropriate management control tools
to insure the projects stay on time, on budget and are resulting in
- Designs and implements processes to make the collection and
sharing of project related data efficient.
- Works with clients to proactively strategize on development
and/or enhancement of engagement objectives.
- Collaborate other members of the CWM teams to plan and
implement services required to support the delivery of healthcare
operations consulting services.
- Work with Business Development team to identify types of
healthcare consulting opportunities that would be appropriate for
CWM to respond to.
- Ensures that timekeeping for assigned projects is accurate and
consistent with project budgets.
- Analyze opportunities for growth in the healthcare operations
consulting market to drive profitability.
- Together with other CWM leaders, continually analyze the
healthcare industry for industry and market changes that would
obviate the need to develop new products and solutions to support
- Develop productive working relationships with key clients and
engage stakeholder groups to improve the quantity and quality of
market/competitor intelligence and to shape the development of
successful campaign strategies.
- Contribute to a coordinated communications program that
effectively articulates CWM's unique mission, vision, value and
strategic goals to internal and external audiences and facilitates
dialogue and decision-making among and between CWM's business
- Collaborates with CWM senior leadership to support the
implementation of strategic plans and process as well as the cost
improvement efforts for the organization.
- Assist department managers in negotiating directly with clients
concerning the scope, objectives, and delivery dates for projects
assigned to their section.
- Identify necessary resources to perform project work, including
mobilizing and coordinating resources from UMMS and other campuses
of the University system and other universities; monitors work
progress, including data analysis and report development, and
oversees its timely completion.
- Actively contributes to communications with CWM clients
regarding projects within the specified content area and ensures
coordination of these projects.
- Delivers presentations of project results to University and
state agency officials and staff as well as statewide, regional and
national audiences; disseminates results through reports and
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Master's degree in related field. Strong preference given to
clinicians with healthcare management experience.
- 7 - 9 years of experience, or equivalent, in either clinical
operations, clinical leadership or informatics. This experience
should include progressive and proven success in design, execution
and evaluation of clinical delivery programs/systems.
- Experience in performance improvement methods, data gathering,
and analysis and measurement and management of outcomes is
- Knowledge and experience in healthcare regulatory and
accreditation standards, financial management and compliance
standards is required.
- Well-developed financial, operational, and technical skills,
together with proven expertise in strategy, organizational design,
- Prior experience working in a leadership role at a complex,
matrixed, and diverse organization. A track record of exceptional
- Experience in planning and implementing health technology
and/or data analytics solutions is preferred.
- Communication and presentation skills, both oral and written,
to interact with clients and to produce reports suitable for both a
public and private sector audience is additionally required.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and negotiate with diplomacy
- Must be able to carry out the essential functions of this
position, with reasonable accommodation if disabled.
- Any healthcare certification preferred (i.e. CPHIMS, FACHE,
CENP, NEA-BC, CPHCQ)
- Experience with accompanying technology solutions for data
collection and analysis in complex, matrixed and diverse
organizations is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of health care challenges, opportunities, and trends
impacting both public sector and private clients; experience and
familiarity with state and federal health care models and
- Proficiency with commonly used computer applications, including
MS Office is required; experience with project management software
Keywords: University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester , Sr. Healthcare Operations Consultant, Other , Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!