Cyber - Specialty Underwriting Specialist
Company: Hanover Insurance Group, Inc.
Posted on: November 24, 2022
For more than 170 years, The Hanover has been committed to
delivering on our promises and being there when it matters the
most. We live our values every day, demonstrating we CARE through
our values, ESG initiatives and IDE journey.
Our underwriting department is seeking a Cyber - Specialty
Underwriting Specialist to join our growing team.
This role will be based in Howell, MI, Itasca, IL, Worcester, MA or
Windsor, CT as viable locations.? This position can be 100%?remote
for the right candidate.
At the Hanover we also understand that life and the workplace have
changed so we are reimagining the workplace and provide flexible
The Hanover is a diverse and inclusive organization focused on
hiring the best talent and we encourage all qualified professionals
to apply.??We believe that an inclusive, diverse, and equitable
workplace make us a better organization and creates a stronger
A proven cyber underwriter to apply technical, sales and analytical
skills to provide insurance solutions that help Hanover's customers
manage risk. Demonstrates a thorough understanding of Hanover's
strategies and appetites and will use internal and external data to
make appropriate individual and portfolio risk decisions. Operates
with limited daily supervision, seeks technical direction for
matters outside one's authority and general expertise. Will obtain
a standard letter of authority for all underwriting decisions while
managing a book of business, generally with moderate to high
technical complexity and coordination.
This is a full-time, exempt role.
In This Role You Will:
* Responsible for efficiently underwriting, negotiating and
servicing renewal accounts to drive profitable growth in alignment
with UW guidelines and core competencies.
* Demonstrates a thorough understanding of Hanover's strategies and
appetites and will use internal and external data to make
appropriate individual and portfolio risk decisions.
* Consult with internal and external customers regarding cyber
exposures and coverages.
* Exhibits thorough working knowledge of sound underwriting
principles, policies, procedures, and controls.
* Keeps current on issues (technical and regulatory) affecting the
cyber insurance line of business as well as the competitors and the
overall marketplace. Attends industry conferences as required.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
What You Need to Apply:
* Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
* Knowledge of cyber coverages (Generally, 3+ years of cyber
insurance experience) and coverage interactions with various other
lines of business.
* 3+ years' experience building agency relationships resulting in
profitable renewal portfolio mix of standard to complex
* Excellent attention to detail.
* Completes file documentation according to best practices
guidelines and can clearly explain account decisions.
* Provides clear and concise rating instructions for quotes prior
to generating proposal for presentation to the agent.
* Knows and applies underwriting concepts including risk selection,
exposure and hazard identification and control, coverage
implications, and loss analysis.
* Uses all appropriate underwriting tools and strategies to ensure
underwriting guidelines are followed.
* Ability to exercise judgment, negotiate and make sound business
decisions effectively based on level of authority.
* Understands pricing components and rating methodology and
correlates pricing to exposures
* When presented with minimal information on a risk, instinctively
knows the key questions to ask to ascertain the full scope of
operations and the key exposures and needed controls.
* Demonstrates confidence in own abilities and is comfortable
taking informed risk.
* Strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems as well as
the ability to learn rapidly, adapt quickly to change, exercise
influence, and manage and prioritize multiple concurrent
* Is adaptive to change. To quickly identify, analyze, and solve
problems while being open to new and different ways of
* Consistently demonstrates working and functional proficiency
across all UW core competencies
* Strong computer skills (Excel-Word-SharePoint) with demonstrated
high accuracy output
* Excellent interpersonal and written/oral skills.
* Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels
of external and/or internal business partners within scope of
responsibility, team and/or matrix environment. Demonstrating
ability to consult with internal and external parties on
* Proven team player and energetic personality.
* Openly encourages other team members to collaborate, share ideas
and voice concerns. Shows respect for differences and diversity in
ideas and views. Involves other team members to achieve optimal
* Understands and seeks ways to improve the quality and results of
one's work. Monitors progress against agreed upon timeline and
deliverables. Raises awareness if achievement of committed work may
be compromised and actively engages in mitigating the
* CPCU designation preferred but not required.
KEY MEASURES OF SUCCESS:
* Appropriate pricing of risk and exposures.
* Service level standards achieved consistently.
* Achieve rate and retention goals as defined by the business.
It's not just a job, it's a career, and we are here to support you
every step of the way. We want you to be successful and fulfilled.
Through on-the-job experiences, personalized coaching and our
robust learning and development programs, we encourage you - at
every level - to grow and develop.
We offer comprehensive benefits to help you be healthy, build
financial security, and balance work and home life. At The Hanover,
you'll enjoy what you do and have the support you need to
* Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
* 401K with a company match
* Tuition reimbursement
* Company paid holidays
* Flexible work arrangements
* Cultural Awareness Day in support of IDE
* On-site medical/wellness center (Worcester only)
* Click here for the full list of Benefits
The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our
customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment
and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the
basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the
available work without regard to race, religion, color, age,
sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity,
disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information,
ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing
an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and
harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender,
ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability,
marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other
status protected by law."
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate
against qualified individuals with disabilities. Individuals with
disabilities who wish to request a reasonable accommodation to
participate in the job application or interview process, or to
perform essential job functions, should contact us at:
HRServices@hanover.com and include the link of the job posting in
which you are interested.
Applicants who are California residents: To see the types of
information we may collect from applicants and employees and how we
use it, please click here.
* Job Family Underwriter
* Job Function Underwriting
* Pay Type Salary
* Required Education Equivalent Experience
* Howell, MI, USA
* Itasca, IL, USA
* Windsor, CT, USA
* Worcester, MA, USA
Keywords: Hanover Insurance Group, Inc., Worcester , Cyber - Specialty Underwriting Specialist, Other , Worcester, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!