Company: UMass Med School
Posted on: March 16, 2023
9 months ago(6/22/2022 10:23 AM)
# of Openings
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION: Under the general direction of the
Department Chair or designee, the Research Operations Manager is
responsible for managing all laboratory operations within a large
and complex Department. The Research Operations Manager will ensure
that all research lab financial, human, and physical resources are
used effect ively, efficiently, and is accountable to achieve
related strategic goals of the department and organization.
- Manage shared laboratory resources
within the Department to ensure that economies of scale are
utilized when planning for department wide laboratory and equipment
maintenance and replacement.
- Coordinate the financial, human, and physical resources of all
Principal Investigators to ensure the most efficient and effective
use of the department budget and other resources
- Identify opportunities for cost savings to the department.
Develop programs to streamline efficiencies throughout the
- Negotiate with vendors and purchase all laboratory capital
equipment for the department. Collaborate with Purchasing when
- Responsible for physical inventory of all laboratory equipment.
Maintain records of all equipment acquired, moved off-site, and/or
- Consult with multiple research faculty on best methods,
equipment and space usage for their individual laboratory
operations. Identify opportunities for shared resources for faculty
within and outside the department
- Responsible to be the main point of contact with Facilities,
internally manage all department laboratories facility alteration,
and set up and break down laboratories for new and departing
- Schedule, evaluate, discipline, hire, terminate, and maximize
the output and performance of shared laboratory research
- Train new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators in
use of departmental resources
- Develop, implement, and evaluate standard operating procedures
for personnel using shared laboratory resources.
- Work with Environmental Health and Safety, and Radiation Safety
to ensure department facilities and laboratories are in compliance
with federal, state and institutional regulations
- Serve on Institutional committees established to improve school
operations and system implementations
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in the Biological Sciences, or equivalent
- 6 years of relevant research and facility maintenance
- 3 years of experience in the supervision of staff and project
management of large scale research projects
- Budget management experience preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative
and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve problems.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED:Under the general direction of the Department
Chair or designee SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervise Laboratory
Assistants and other shared staff as required ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING
CONDITIONS:Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate
contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human
Keywords: UMass Med School, Worcester , Mgr,Research Operations, Other , Worcester, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...