Diversion Specialist - GWHC
Company: South Middlesex Opportunity Council, Inc.
Posted on: November 14, 2023
If you are unable to complete this application due to a
disability, contact this employer to ask for an accommodation or an
alternative application process. Diversion Specialist - GWHC Full
Time Worcester, MA 25 Queen Street, Worcester, MA, US 10 days ago
Requisition ID: 2965 Salary Range: $22.00 To 22.00 Hourly SUMMARYTo
conduct diversion problem-solving conversations at assessments for
individuals that have requested emergency shelter through the
Greater Worcester Housing Connection. Assist individuals to
immediately identify alternative housing arrangements while
coordinating referrals to community resources and access to
financial assistance for those who qualify. Collaborate closely
with GWHC direct care staff, case managers, property managers, and
all program managers to develop strategies and viable options to
divert individuals from entering emergency shelter.PRIMARY
- Maintain knowledge of Coordinated Assessment Network and local
Homeless Response System.
- Track activity and records in the Homeless Management
Information Systems (HMIS) database.
- Provide motivational interviewing skills to fuel problem
- Collaborate with community partners to build and maintain
knowledge of resources for basic needs, i.e. food pantries,
clothing donations, etc.
- Network with community partners to maintain knowledge of mental
health, behavioral health and physical health services, including
substance use disorder treatment options.
- Attend weekly GWHC team meetings where case managers and
housing property managers discuss vacancies and identify potential
candidates for permanent housing.
- Stay up to date on local and national best practices for
- Provide support so that individuals understand federal/state
guidelines for rental subsidies, tenant rights and responsibilities
as well as basic knowledge of housing law.
- Assist with landlord mediation and/or conversations with
family/friends in an effort to resolve individuals' housing
- Familiarity with application processes for state benefits.
- Communicate with local emergency shelters on bed availability
when diversion is not possible.KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years case management experience.
- Prior training and experience in Motivational Interviewing are
- Ability to problem-solve in a fast-paced environment.
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
- Judgement skills that enable you to make effective decisions in
critical situations or dilemmas.
- Valid Driver's license and reliable transportation.PHYSICAL
- Ability to drive.
- Ability to ascend and descend stairs.ORGANIZATIONAL
- Directly reports to the Coordinated Assessment Supervisor, GWHC
and Assistant Director.
- Direct reports of this position are none.WORKING CONDITIONSAs
part of the responsibilities of this position, the Diversion
Specialist will have direct or incidental contact with clients
served by SMOC in various programs funded or administered through
the Executive Office of Health and Human Services. A successful
background check is required. Some travel is required. Flexibility
with hours is required as some meetings may occur after hours.We
are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the
Keywords: South Middlesex Opportunity Council, Inc., Worcester , Diversion Specialist - GWHC, Other , Worcester, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!